29 November 2007

Confirmation of my good taste

The New York Times book editors have named Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson as one of the 5 best fiction books for 2007.

I only mention this because it confirms my good taste. I wrote about my experience with the book back in early September.

I thank the Amery (WI) Public Library for making it available to me. I thank Graywolf Press in Minneapolis for publishing it. And I thank all those teachers who helped me learn to read and to like books.

From the New York Times: The 10 Best Books of 2007

Fiction:
  • MAN GONE DOWN By Michael Thomas
  • OUT STEALING HORSES By Per Petterson; translated by Anne Born
  • THE SAVAGE DETECTIVES By Roberto BolaƱo; translated by Natasha Wimmer
  • THEN WE CAME TO THE END By Joshua Ferris
  • TREE OF SMOKE By Denis Johnson

Nonficiton:
  • IMPERIAL LIFE IN THE EMERALD CITY: Inside Iraq's Green Zone By Rajiv Chandrasekaran
  • LITTLE HEATHENS: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression By Mildred Armstrong Kalish
  • THE NINE: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court By Jeffrey Toobin
  • THE ORDEAL OF ELIZABETH MARSH: A Woman in World History By Linda Colley
  • THE REST IS NOISE: Listening to the Twentieth Century By Alex Ross



No comments: