29 July 2014

Good buddy John wrote from the wonderful Willamette Valley

I find great pleasure in poetry.

Many people consider it a tease or worse, artsy. Billy Collins writes a couple of very satisfying poems about, "how we want to tie a poem to a chair and beat a confession out of it."

When there was no time for books, I turned to poetry. Huge rewards. Beauty, angst, love, name it, it is there.

Heaney
Through odd circumstances I met Seamus Heaney. He was a wonderful man.

Truth, in a few words is what a poet can do.

Cummings helped me woo my wife, Neruda  has helped me and others with some tough moments. Poetry can be a joy or a mystery. It seems all art is art or not,  depending  on the consumer. I love what I love and do not worry much about critical response. Love, you
Your thoughts?
Write. Tell this little bit of the world.

1 comment:

Ken Wedding said...

Bird Loomis wrote, "My friend and NY Times reporter Alissa Rubin would often read poetry when she thought her writing was becoming stale. She needed new (and renewed) words.

"Don't we all?"